Relaxing at Home...Not as Bad as It Seems

Labels: | 0 comments»



I've used just about every type of relaxer: Dark and Lovely, Optimum, Creme of Nature, Olive Oil brand...the list goes on! These relaxers always let me down. Either the relaxer didn't TRULY get my hair relaxed or it totally damaged my hair...severely. And it was mainly my fault. I wasn't concerned about having healthy hair-I wold chose the cheapest relaxer that would "relax" my hair the best. I used to never wrap my hair and constantly used the hot curlers every single day! I literally burnt my hair out.

Two years ago, my hair was damaged so horribly in the crown of my head, that i had to make an appointment with my Mom's beautician, and get my entire head of hair chopped off! I was devastated and had no idea how to style and care for short hair.The picture shown is when I first got my hair chopped off,eww look how unhealthy my hair looked Circa 2008

So I started going to the hair salon every 2-3 weeks (which really wasn't in my budget)and my hair started to grow within the first 2 months! I was so excited! My stylist used a Mizani relaxer on me, which she used in my Mom's hair also. I noticed when my hair grew back to its original shoulder length, that my hair was shedding and that it seemed thinner than before. My stylist even admitted that my hair texture had become a bit flimsy, so she said she would try another relaxer. The Mizani worked fine with my Mom's thick(gorgeous)black hair, but did the total opposite with mine. But summer was near and I wanted to try the tree braids out for a while and give my hair a break.

I took my tree braids out after about 2 1/2 months, with no damage might I add, and I then begin researching the best relaxers on the market.And... There was none! OK,OK, what I mean is that any chemicals in the hair is not really healthy, but I figured that I should try to take better care of my hair if I was to continue using a relaxer. So the first brand that I happened to try was Africa's Best Organics Olive Oil No Lye Relaxer, and I noticed that it didn't make my hair feel over-processed as the Mizani did. I haven't had any breakage while using this relaxer(over a year now,whew!)The shampoo in the kit is colored coded when lathered to turn pink if relaxer is still present in your hair...love it! but my stylist swears that the Mizani was better for hair texture and that the "no lye" home kits actually further damages the hair;but I know my own hair, and I know what feels right. I'm sticking to Africa's Best Organics Olive Oil brand and I will continue with my hair Regimen and see what happens.

0 Responses to "Relaxing at Home...Not as Bad as It Seems" (Leave A Comment)